Monday, June 10, 2013

The Jethro Tull Experience

Jethro Tull can refer both to the famous British farmer or a British "progressive" rock band. Both had big hair, which gives them some connection. Both enabled big business as well, perhaps unwittingly. But I'm not sure how much further that connection goes, having never heard even one of the band's songs.

Jethro Tull is also the name of a flower hybrid, a fluted coreopsis. It is a hearty southern plant that grows a brilliant yellow fluted head. I have two that I planted in my garden, neither of which has done horribly well. Both are somewhat disease prone, and I, being both a conscientious organic gardener and decidedly lazy, have neglected to treat them with some insecticide.

Until now. I finally dropped some 3 in 1, which I detailed in another post. It is my sincere hope that this makes the Jethro Tull blow up, as I quite like the flowers. They also last a week or more as cut flowers, which makes them wonderful to pair with herbs, miniature roses, and other small flowers for bud vases.

Big hair, big style
UPDATE: since this post seems to be attracting traffic from real gardeners, any advice on controlling disease or helping the plant thrive would be most welcome.

2 comments: